Residents on the central north coast of New South Wales have been urged to evacuate as Australia’s most populous state has suffered the worst flooding in decades.
Evacuation orders were issued for thousands of residents in the area after rescue services rescued hundreds of people from the water. On Saturday evening alone, they responded to 66 calls to rescue floods.
New South Wales Prime Minister Gladys Berejiklian said the central north coast is celebrating a centenary and that current conditions “will continue”.
“While we do not believe that the situation on the central north coast will get worse, conditions will definitely persist and rainfall will continue in the areas already affected,” she said.
Ms Berejiklian added that parts of the west of Sydney, the capital of New South Wales, had one event in one in fifty years. Some parts have seen record rain of 300mm since Friday morning.
Thousands of Sydney residents had to evacuate and house millions more after massive storms and a mini-tornado hit the east coast.
Heavy rains caused the Warragamba Dam to overflow on Sunday, making the flooding worse.
Evacuation orders were originally issued to people living in 15 areas of the state. Since then, 13 evacuation centers have been opened for people to protect themselves from the floods.
Some people have been forced to drive to safety through flooded streets where water ran to windows and power was cut off for thousands.
Further evacuations are expected as the downpour will last until the middle of the week.
Authorities are urging people not to drive through flooded areas of New South Wales as cars could easily be swept away by strong currents.